Thursday, March 14, 2013

Measuring Ingredients and Baking Biscuits

The topic for Our World, Our Numbers this week 
is recipes and measurement.

We used our measuring skills in B4 to make Anzac biscuits using the recipe from the Edmonds Cookbook - many homes in New Zealand would have a copy of this cookbook!

We noticed that Anzac biscuits also featured in 4KM and 4KJ's  post this week!

Anzac biscuits:
125 g (4ozs.) flour                                    100g (3 1/2 ozs.) butter
150 g (6ozs.) sugar                                  1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 cup coconut                                           1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup rolled oats                                       2 tablespoons boiling water

Mix together flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats.
Melt butter and golden syrup.
Dissolve Bicarb. Soda in the boiling water and add to butter and golden syrup.
Make a well in the centre of the flour and stir in the liquid.
Place in spoonfuls on the trays.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 180˚C. (350˚F)

We measured the flour and sugar with these scales.
They have both metric and imperial units on them.
We used the metric units.


We needed a cup each of coconut and rolled oats, so we used our measuring cup.

We needed 100g of butter. 
How many lots of 100g are in our block of butter?

The biscuits were laid out in an array on the baking tray.

How many biscuits on our tray?
We made 3 trays of biscuits, so how many biscuits did we make?

Finally it was time to enjoy the biscuits!


Do you do baking at home?

What do you like to make?

12 comments:

  1. Dear B4,

    Those biscuits are mouth watering!! :) I wish I was there with you when you made them. The recipe is very simple so maybe I can make them. ;) I've made cupcakes before so this is not new to me.

    Your friend,
    Olivia
    Techie Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Olivia
      We like anzac biscuits.Do you like anzac biscuits?They are deloushes.

      Sincerely
      Olivia and Zaria ♥

      Delete
    2. Dear Olivia

      I like baking. I baking cookies and Cake.
      I like licking the bowl.

      from Ricci and Lachy

      Delete
    3. Dear Olivia and Zaria,

      I have never heard of anzac biskets but they sound awesome! What other biscuits do you like?

      Your Pal,
      Olivia
      Techie Kids

      Delete
    4. Dear Ricci and Lachy,

      My favorite part is licking the bowl too! Also my favorite part is waiting after they are baking and eat them after they are. I like it with cold milk and warm cookies. Do you like that also?

      Your Pal,
      Olivia
      Techie Kids

      Delete
  2. Dear B4,

    Those biscuits look amazing, I wish I could make them too. It's a good thing that you put the recipe so I could try. I especially love to bake cookies. What do you love to bake? There are 60 biscuits in all.

    Your Friend,
    Sophia
    Techie Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sophia

      Toby loves making muffins and Jia Xuan loves to bakes gingerbread men.
      We are both 7.

      bye for now
      Toby and Jia Xuan ♔

      Delete
    2. Dear Toby and Jia Xuan,

      I love baking muffins too, also gingerbread men except I gave candy up for Lent. I'm in 5th grade. How's school for you guys? Have you've done anything fun?

      Your friend,
      Sophia
      Techie Kids

      Delete
  3. Dear B4,

    That is a lot of biscuits. At home I like to make breakfest. I love to bake also me and my mom bake all the time. Thats a lot of butter you used 100g. You made a total of 60 biscuits. thats a lot. I also love to bake cupcakes.

    From,
    Gianna
    Techie Kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so nice I really want to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sophia

    I like to bake cake. My favourite flavour is chocolate chip.
    Whats your favourite flavour. Hopefully its chocolate chip.

    from Tarris and Cruiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tarris and Cruiz,

      My favorite flavor is vanilla. Chocolate is also good too though. It's my second favorite.

      Do you like to blog? What person is your favorite to blog?

      Your friend,
      Sophia
      Techie Kids

      Delete